Monday, June 30, 2008

Day: 21

There's a formula one driver inside every Italian man (and woman, for all I know), trying to get out. Italian bus drivers especially so. Although their vehicles are more freight truck than Ferrari, and handle like the Titanic in an iceflow, this doesn't prevent them from hurtling around the Amalfitana* at startling speeds with loads of white-faced passengers. Some of whom haven't been killed.

These thoughts occurred to me as we headed back from Positano where we'd had dinner on Thursday night. Positano is a celebrity town, apparently. We thought we saw Paris Hilton on the back of a scooter last time, although I doubt it was her, looked far too 3-dimensional to me. This time Bruce Willis hopped on the bus on the way there. At least it could have been him, if Bruce had 6 kids and knew what a bus was.

Our destination for dinner was 'Chez Black', nominated in the Lonely Planet guide as being popular with the 'sweater over the shoulders' set and supposed to be decent. We pictured something rather more swank than what we found, which was a fairly typical trattoria located right on the main beach. Prices reflected the location more than the food, and not a sweater to be seen (this could of course have been due to the sweltering temp and high humidity). No interesting pictures from here, aside from this funky masted cruise ship which anchored off Positano beach for a short while then headed out again as dusk fell.


Not a lot else to report really up to this point. Been a relatively quiet week of working, cooking, going out occasionally, etc. The coffee situation remains a bit grim, as the moka pots in this place don't suit the pre-ground coffee we can buy. At Casa Costantina I think we were lucky that the grind suited and I could get quite decent full-bodied coffee. Not here.

Gerri will update you on our last weekend in the Amalfi (and more, perhaps) in the next post. For want of something better to close with, I was amused to notice on the shaving cream that I bought the other day that it 'should not be used on children under 3'... I guess if you have an exceptionally hairy baby then you could always tell people you bought yourself a monkey.

* The Amalfitana is the spectacular coast road that hangs off the cliff faces all along the Amalfi coast between Positano and Salerno.

No comments: